When to use queryString and when to use queryParameter?

Hi,

I’m new to RAML (using 1.0). The specs (https://github.com/raml-org/raml-spec/blob/master/versions/raml-10/raml-10.md/#query-strings-and-query-parameters) say that I can use queryString or queryParameter and that they are mutually exclusive.

After reading that chapter I still don’t understand the difference, and when to use one over the other. Can anyone help me out with an explanation based on clear examples with use cases?

Hi @wilko

Please go through the below URL.

Off the top of my head, a query string would be the entire set of query params… e.g. ?a=1&b=2&c=3 where as query parameters would be each parameter defined, as in

a:
type: string
required: false
description: …

The end result would be the same potential URL (e.g. some combo of 0 or more query parameters), but defining the parameters allows you more details, good for documentation, etc.

Thank you for your replies.

It’s possibly just that Kevin, that using queryParameter allows for more fine grained detail.

But if anyone has a good reason to use one over the other, please illustrate, I’m still interested to learn why.

I can’t seem to edit my original post (topic starter), likely because it’s too long ago, but to elaborate on my original question.

I still don’t understand the difference, and when to use one over the other.

I don’t mean the difference between a query string and a query parameter, because that is already very clear to me. I am referring to the keys queryParameter and queryString, one of which may be defined for the method property (such as get or post) of a resource. When to use the queryParameter key, and when to use the queryString key instead?

You could also add that with queryString you would be able to define conditional parameters using unions etc. That’s not working with queryParameters as you define each explicitly and separately.