What happens with RAML in light of OAI?

Recently an organization which aims to “standardize how REST APIs are described” named Open API Initiative has been created, with Google, Microsoft, IBM and some others as founding members. They’re taking Swagger 2.0 as a basis for their spec.
So, what happens to RAML with this considered? I’m in process of choosing an API modeling tool now, and I do like RAML over Swagger (ex. because of JSON schema support), but I do not want to end up stuck in a stalled infrastructure.

http://swagger.io/introducing-the-open-api-initiative/

Hi @wldhx,

Right now nothing will change. RAML is still and will be available as an open standard for the community to work on it independent from what these guys are doing.

That said - go for it, choose RAML :smiley:

Hope that answers your question.

Hi @christian_vogel,

My concern is about said community transitioning to OAI. But if this happens can probably only be seen in time.
Yep, I’ll try (and probably stick to) it.

Hey @wldhx -
Personally I think the Open API Initiative is a great thing for Swagger, as it has been getting bounced around a bit (Wordnik, SmartBear, and now OAI). In concerns to RAML, I wouldn’t be too worried as RAML also has a strong workgroup behind it including MuleSoft, Akana, Intuit, VMware, and Cisco (see more).

Also, two of the Open API Initiative founding members, SmartBear and Restlet heavily invest in tools and support for RAML as well. While Intuit (mentioned above) participates in both groups.

I think the biggest take-away from this new initiative is that we’re seeing more and more companies recognize the importance of a spec like Swagger or RAML, and starting to invest more heavily in them.

As for the community transitioning - I think it ultimately comes down to what spec provides the best support for your needs. With several new features in RAML 1.0 including data types, libraries, overlays, and advanced tooling - I don’t think you have to worry about the community moving away from RAML any time soon :smile:

Thanks,
Mike

Hey @Mike_Stowe

Why so?

Overall - sounds legit, thanks.

P.S.

Ooh, shiny!