Timelines for RAML 1.0 to be Fully Usable?

Hey guys,

First, let me preface this by saying I’ve been using RAML 1.0 for a few weeks now after diving into API Blueprint, Swagger, and now RAML while looking for a good tool for documenting our API contracts. And as for the spec, I really think it’s the best of the bunch. Also, I recognize RAML 1.0 has only been out for a few months. All that said…

When do we expect RAML 1.0 to be really ready for adoption? Right now, I’m seeing pretty much all of the tooling is in some state between “we’re figuring out how to work with RAML 1.0” to “it kind of sort of works with RAML 1.0”. For some background, I’ve spent the last 3 weeks designing APIs for several microservices in RAML only to find out when I’m getting ready to hand them off that while the spec is up to snuff, none of the tooling I was planning to rely on is. This isn’t to bash on the effort, by any means. I’m just trying to gauge the viability of RAML 1.0 in the near term for my projects. Obviously, I should have researched the tooling first, but hindsight is 20/20 and all.

So what does the current expected timeline look like and how much risk to slippage is there? I’m seeing that a lot of stuff in Github is pointing to end of this month. Is that kind of what everyone is shooting for?

Thanks for any opinions and all the hard work and effort being put into this spec. Even if I can’t use it for now, I’m sure I’ll advocate for it when it matures.