Can resource types define nested resources?

In Rails, I can write resources :someresource in the routes file, and it will generate a bunch of standard routes. When I try to capture that with resource types in the RAML API Designer I get an error stating “resource type cannot define child resources”:

#%RAML 0.8
title: Example API
resourceTypes:
  - standardResource:
      get:
      /new:
        get: 
        get:
        /edit:
          get:
        patch:
        put:
        delete:
/some-resource:
  type: standardResource

But I didn’t see anything in the spec specifically prohibiting nested resources in resource types. Is it allowed?

It’s not allowed, and it’s a decision we made very early on – early enough to have lost the explicit prohibition of this in the spec. I just updated the spec to reflect this explicitly. It was part of a section that clarified all the differences between a resource definition and a resourceType definition, and similarly between methods and traits.

We can definitely discuss the possibilities of nested resources in resource types for future RAML versions, but it gets messy quickly.

Just ran into this myself, actually. I wanted to create a resourceType that standardized a specific set of resources that are repeated at several levels of resource hierarchy. Sort of like the following (i’ve omitted everything but the resource paths for clarity):

/someResource:
  /properties:
  /docs:
  /actions:
/someOtherResource:
  /properties:
  /docs:
  /actions:
etc.

It’s going to be an incredible pain to have to redeclare every one of those resources without the benefit of being able to use a template of some kind. Maybe traits is the answer? but I don’t think those support templating like <>, or do they?

If none of the above are going to work, where do I +1 nested resource types (or child resources in a resource type)?

Regards